Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Have you ever felt that far off feeling from Jesus your Lord?
Peter did, he understood what it felt like to have really
blown it big time. How could he ever prove his love for the
Lord again after denying Him not just once, but three times.
After insisting emphatically that he would never deny his
Lord even if everyone else did (Mk. 14:27-31), he did
exactly what he said he wouldn't do. Sound familiar?
We constantly mean to do the right thing, but sometimes
all we seem to do is the wrong thing. So now what do I
do? How do I find my way back to Jesus when I've
wandered so far away? I do exactly what Peter did. I
profess my love for Him. Peter did not try go back into
his past and fix things that he regretted, or wished he could
have done differently. He did not allow his past mistakes
to hold him hostage and keep him from moving on with his
role in the kingdom. He simply responded to Jesus right
then and there in spite of all that he wasn't, but because of
ALL JESUS IS. Peter said it this way, "Lord, you know
all things; you know that I love you." (Jn. 21:17). That is
how you find your way back to Him. You profess your love
for Him, you accept that He knows and sees your heart,
and in spite of the past you allow it to be the past and
you move on in step with Him. Don't forget His parting
words of comfort and encouragement, "... I am with you
always to the very end of the age." (Mt. 28:29).

1 comments:

Theresa said...

Reading this reminds me of the song by casting crowns (don't ask me to remember the name of the song, I'm doing good to remember the band!) that says, "Not because of what I am, but because of what you've done. Not because of what I've done, but because of who You are." I love that... it is such a comfort to know He's taken care of everything. I try not to screw up, but like Peter, I sometimes fall so badly I can't imagine getting back up. But because of who He is, He takes my hand and asks me to profess my love for Him one more time. He gives me another chance... and another... and another. As many as I need. Because, incredibly, amazingly, unfathomably He loves me! Little me! The Creator of the universe has a place in His plan for me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... wow! Thank you, God!

Thanks for encouraging me!