Monday, April 21, 2008

Ouch!!!!! Is it suppose to feel this way???????????

Good news came today in the fact that I do not need knee replacement surgery! My cartilage depth looked good, but there is considerable grinding, popping, and crunching going on. The doctor actually chuckled when he moved my knee around and said, "Yeah, you've got a lot of noise going on in there!" He said the problem is my cartilage is actually very "roughed up" and there were two ways to treat it. Option 1 was an injection today of Kenalog into the knee joint to buy a little time and help relieve some of the pain. Option 2 is surgery to go in and smooth off the rough places and clean out my knee. My knee is in need of some spring cleaning! I asked if I chose Option 1 would I be able to avoid surgery. He lauged and said we would leave that option on the table for now, but he recommended going with Option 1 for now, especially since we have a major event coming up in our family soon!

The interesting thing for me was that I've had these type of injections several times before (elbow twice, left thumb joint, right toe joint, and both heals) and relief wasn't immediate but pretty quickly. I got the injeciton at 9:15 A.M. and it now hurts soooooooooooooooooooooooo much worse than it did before the injection!!!!! What's up with that???????

Can anyone shed any light on that for me?

7 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

Ouch!

Doesn't sound like fun at all!

I know nothing about those kinds of shots. Nor do I really want to find out anything about them...

Hannah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your knee. The only thing I can come up with is that it has to get worse before it gets better...but that's definately just a guess.
I know it doesn't sound to great right now with the pain that you're in, but maybe God's giving you patience and another struggle to trust him with. He alone can truly heal you. Plus, with this new developement, whenever he decides to heal you...in his timing...all the glory will go to him. He is a jealous God, and he loves you. Just wait and trust in the Lord. ~Love you~
You're in my prayers.

Tammy said...

"Well.....at YOUR age....."

Tammy said...

Hope you are better soon. Kristi has had some experence with knees. Maybe she would be more help than me. I only know what MY doctor would say (see above comment).

Vanessa said...

Well, you know when I get my shots I cry 24/7 and sleep 24/7 (yes, both at the same time!) Maybe you're just working in some sympathy pains! You're so sweet! ;)

Michelle said...

Hey there Mrs. Priest! Well I can shed some light on one of the two options. I never had the option one though it does sound kind of fancy if not painful. Option 2 I have actually experienced, in terms of surgery its not as bad as it could be. My cartilage was also roughed up. It actually does help quite a bit. It cuts down tremendously on the amount of noise and for me pain as well. I don't know if they would do the surgery the same way but if I remembered right they really only make 2 little holes in your knees and recovery is not terribly long. They also let me wake up during the surgery and look at the camera to see what they were doing! lol it was kind of neat. I hope that your knee feels better soon! Hope you guys are doing well :)

Lindsay said...

Okay, the wedding is over (congratulations, by the way!), so I'm going to be expecting more frequent blog posts from now on! ;-)

I love you today, my friend!