Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Child-like faith

I haven't been on here in a very long time. It's been a very difficult school year and it doesn't look like it is going to get any easier anytime soon. My daughter and a dear friend have double tagged me so I will answer that soon; however, there is another post that must come first. When I got on my blog for the first time since this fall, I couldn't believe that my last post was about a student's death. That is what brings me here again. One of our precious 1st graders died one week ago of complications with asthma. It has been so hard to believe. We were just beginning to see daylight again since Ashley's death. We had just made it through homecoming on Saturday when she, as the reigning Homecoming queen, should have crowned the new Homecoming queen. Instead, her jerseys were retired and she was remembered and the tears flowed once again. Then during the night on Sunday, a precious little 6 year old boy gasped his final breath. J.J. had an enthusiasm for life that you couldn't help but catch. He found such joy in every moment of life. Despite his own hardship, he made everyone who came in contact with him feel like life was the greatest thing ever! His death has been such a shock. On Tuesday his parents and grandparents came to school to attend chapel with all his classmates, friends, teachers, and staff. It was a wonderful time of healing worship, and community. As the classes were dismissed from chapel, each class waited their turn to give his parents and grandparents a hug from every child and teacher. We all felt better by having the opportunity to love them. Later when the teachers were talking about the children and how it had gone, one of the teachers told what J.J.'s best friend had said when he found out. His words were profound, heart wrenching, and faith building all at the same time. He simply said, "Well, I guess it's all right if he's in Heaven and he doesn't have asthma anymore." Oh to have the faith of a child that it's all alright!! Those words of wisdom came from a best friend who shared a similar disability with his friend. He has cystic fibrosis and understands all too well how his friend felt and what his words mean. I want to have that kind of faith!

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Love you.
I'm gonna be home in 6 days. It'll all be better then. :)

Lindsay said...

I was sitting here wondering what to say to something this difficult and painful, but then I looked up and read your blog title and the verse beneath it again. Pressing on. That's what you (as well as everyone else at WCA) are doing right now. The world looks on and wonders why? how? It is not from yourselves that you are finding the strength to do that, it is from your God and Father, your Friend and Savior. His strength is being made perfect in your weakness. He is the only reason that you can press on, even through your grief and pain and sorrow. Trust in the promise of Hosea 6:3 that "As surely as the sun rises, He will appear." Whether with a mustard-seed faith or with faith as strong as J.J.'s little friend, that is what you all have to cling to. Jesus will appear. Not just on the mountaintops, but also in the darkest and lonliest vallies. He will appear in ways you aren't looking for or expecting. When you are wondering if it can get any worse, look up, and you'll find that He's right there with you. That is His name: Emmanuel, GOD WITH US. That is the promise He has given us, not that we will not face trials, but that He will face them with us and give us the strength to get through them. I pray that He will do that for you right now. I pray that He will shower His blessings of peace and comfort on you as your heart aches and that in His time, He will help to heal that ache. I love you, my friend.

Danna said...

WOW....I want to have a faith like that too! Thank you for sharing your heart. Thank you for sharing your life. We have loved spending some time with you all recently.

Love you SO much!

Tammy said...

I think we all want a faith that is child-like...so open to the Father's moving that we accept His Will quickly and readily. One of my new, favorite singers, Natilie Grant, has a song "Held" that is more where I am. Just realizing that things sometimes really stink, but in accepting them we become part of the Kingdome time-line that includes the suffering of Christ. And He holds us. I love you, Jeanne.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanne!

I just wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed eating lunch with you guys the other day. I would love to get to do it again soon! Thanks for sharing your time with us...even if it wasn't planned!

Here's to busy afternoons at Red Lobster...