Monday, June 25, 2007

Discovery

Earlier I mentioned the book I’m reading this summer, The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ by Randy Singer.

WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF:

* YOU WANT TO REMAIN CONTENT JUST GOING TO CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!
* IF YOU ARE AFRAID TO TAKE A REALLY CLOSE LOOK AT NOT ONLY YOURSELF BUT ALSO YOUR RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION

ENCOURAGEMENT: DO READ THIS BOOK IF:

* YOU WANT A CLOSER LOOK AT THE SAVIOR
* YOU’VE ALWAYS LONGED FOR RELATIONSHIP OVER RELIGON
* YOU’VE ALWAYS KNOWN THERE WAS SOMETHING MORE TO BEING CHRIST THAN JUST GOING TO CHURCH

The author points out how the Law mattered most of all to the Pharisees. It didn’t begin that way. In the beginning, their motives were purely to love the Lord their God who brought them out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (see Ex. 20:2) But somewhere along the way they traded their faith in God for their faith in the Law. It was originally based on the Law of God; however, being the humans that we are, they sought to improve on God’s plan and in the process made a mess of things!

The author makes this statement:
“… apparently all these religious leaders, who take such great pride in following every jot and tittle of the law, let their hatred of Jesus overpower their love for the law.”

He provides a detailed explanation of the trial rules for the Sanhedrin that were most likely in effect at that time of the trial of Jesus. He does make a point of saying that

“There is some uncertainty about trial rules in first-century Jerusalem. Later records describe these Jewish trial procedures, and it is probable that substantially the same rules were in place when Christ was tried.”

He further explains that most of the procedural safeguards for capital offenses (meant to assure a fair trial) were violated in the trial of Jesus.

It has served me well to step back from “religion” and examine exactly how much I too have added to the commands of God in order to protect my system of religion.
I have discovered some truths so important that Jesus was willing to die for me to set me free. Here’s a little bit of what I’ve discovered.

What really matters:

The Messiah, not the method,
Jesus, not the judgmental.
The Savior, not the system,
Christ, not the critics.
The Prince of Peace, not the pattern,
The Forever Faithful, not the five acts or steps of anything!

2 comments:

jettybetty said...

That sounds GREAT!!! I will get it soon! That's pretty much where God's been leading me anyway--it's so uncomfortable!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I am so thankful I found your blog--I've loved you for years--and love that I can get a small peak into what you are thinking now!

Danna said...

You've been tagged! Read my blog for details. :o)

LOVE YOU!